Origin Notes and History:
Hedley (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 421A, Hope, as identified on Geological Survey sheet 1A, Hedley, 1910. Form of name changed to Hedley (Post Office & Station) 5 November 1953 on 92H/SE. Form of name changed back to Hedley (Post Office) 31 July 1969, after discontinuation of Great Northern Rly service. Form of name changed to Hedley (community) 14 January 1983 on 92H/8.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named about 1898, after Robert Rift Hedley (1863-1940), mining engineer. Hedley was born at Amherstburg, Ontario; came to Kootenay District in 1896; superintendent of Hall mine and smelter, Nelson, 1897-1907; afterwards engaged in mining work in Ontario and BC, latterly residing at the coast. Died at Vancouver 3 September 1940. In 1896 he sent Peter Scott, an American surveyor and prospector, to examine the Twenty Mile (now Hedley) Creek region. A year or so later, Scott and others discovered the gold deposits which led to great mineral production, commencing with the famous Nickel Plate Mine, which began operating in May 1904. The Nickel Plate mineral claim was staked by C.H. Arundel and F. Wollaston in August 1898. Scott named the place "Camp Hedley". Hedley townsite was surveyed in 1900. Post Office opened 1 May 1903, F.M. Gillespie postmaster. Scott, "the father of Camp Hedley" was born in Wisconsin, and in 1937 was living at Whidbey Island, Washington, age 81. [see also British Columbia Historical Quarterly, volumes 12 & 14.]
Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions
"....Hedley had grub-staked Peter Scott, who staked the first mineral claims in the area."
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.