Spuzzum

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side Fraser River, between Yale and Boston Bar, Yale Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°41'20''N, 121°24'45''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92H/11

Origin Notes and History:

Spuzzum (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on 92 H, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914. Form of name changed to Spuzzum (Railway Station) 15 July 1976 on 92H/11. Changed to Spuzzum (locality) 4 July 1995.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

First building established here in 1848 to act as a depot for the HBC brigade. For years it was known as Simon's House, usage eventually shifting to Spuzzum. Adapted from the Indian name for the creek. Spuzzum Post Office opened 1 May 1897, A.H.Coppen, postmaster; post office closed 5 June 1975.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The boundary between the Coast Salish and the Interior Salish nations was just south of here. Spuzzum is an adaption of the Indian name spozem, meaning "little flat (lands)". (Milestones on the Mighty Fraser, by Ches Lyons; Evergreen Press, Vancouver; 1958)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office