Websters Corners

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE of Albion in Maple Ridge (municipality), New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°13'00''N, 122°31'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/2

Origin Notes and History:

Webster Corners (Post Office) adopted 11 February 1936 on 92G/2 - not Webster's Corners nor Webster's Corner. Form of name changed to Websters Corners (community) 15 December 1981 on 92G/2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Websters Corners Post Office was opened 1 October 1981; James Murray Webster postmaster.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"James Murray Webster was born in Aberdeen, Scotland. He came from Eugenia Falls, Ontario, to British Columbia, arriving 6 March 1883. Prior to that he had been a captain on a vessel. He settled where Websters Corners is now, and started the post office, situating it on his 160 acres of farm land, and giving it his own name. He was postmaster until c1920, and died at Port Haney in December 1924, age 91. (information provided by Mrs. James Webster, Port Haney, BC, 23 February 1927)."

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives