BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Tanu
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Locality - A named place or area, with or without a scattered population
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: E side of Tanu Island, between Louise and Lyall Islands off E side of Moresby Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 52°45'56''N, 131°36'59''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 103B/13
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Tanu (village) identified on C,353, 1945. Tanu (settlement) adopted 7 April 1949. Identified as Tanu (locality) in the 1953 BC Gazetteer.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"This is an abandoned Haida settlement which is of significant historical importance, and should be shown on maps." (Wilson Duff, anthropologist, Provincial Museum.)
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
The Haida called this village T'aanuu, meaning "Sea-Grass-Town" referring to a type of sea grass found near the village. It was also called Klue's village after the original town chief. The hauntingly beautiful village of T'aanuu is located on the east shore of T'aanuu Island, on Laskeek Bay. T'aanuu differs from the other villages in that it faces onto two beaches, divided by a rocky shoal. In the mid-1800s the village had about 550 inhabitants, and more than 25 longhouses, 31 mortuary columns and 15 mortuary houses were recorded at that time. Although there are no standing poles left now, there are longhouse remains; house pits and collapsed moss-grown house posts mark the sites where two rows of longhouses face the shoreline. Walking amidst the ruins, surrounded by the protective rainforest, one gets a strong sense of the people who lived here. Further along the trail one comes across a reminder of the missionaries: an old tombstone almost worn smooth by time. The Watchmen cabin is located north-east of the village at the far end of the trail. (Information from Parks Canada internet site, 1999)
Source: included with note
Identified as "T'aanuu llnagaay" in description of Haida Watchmen responsibilities (Canadian Geographic Magazine, March 2007)
Source: included with note