Rose Harbour

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N end of Kunghit Island, off SE side Moresby Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°09'00''N, 131°04'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103B/3

Origin Notes and History:

Rose Harbour (Post Office) adopted 14 June 1946 on 103/SE. Name deleted 9 June 1948 on C.3855. Rose Harbour (locality) reinstated 2 December 1954 on BC map 2F: "there is no habitation here now according to RCMP and anthropologist Wilson Duff, but becasue of it's historical value, the name should remain on maps." (1954 notation, file Q.1.54)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Rose Harbour Post Office opened 1 July 1911, named in association with the harbour; closed 7 October 1942; re-opened 2 May 1943; closed 6 October 1943.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"The Rose Habour Whaling Station was built here in 1910 by the Queen Charlotte Whaling Company, beginning operation that summer with from 100 to 150 men.... By September the plant had put through 80 large whales in the first six weeks of operation. In 1918 the Consolidated Whaling Incorporation of Toronto bought both the Rose Harbour and Naden Harbour Whaling Stations, operating them until 1943. This company went bankrupt in 1946... In 1948 all machinery and equipment not obsolete was moved to Coal Harbour on Vancouver Island, and the stations on the Charlottes abandoned."

Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973