New Clew

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N. side of Louise Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°01'30''N, 131°46'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103G/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 2 December 1954 on Ottawa file OBF 3986.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Abandoned Indian Village of historic importance according to anthropologist Wilson Duff.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Various spellings/forms: Clue, New Clew, Kloo, Kliew, Klue. Clew Indian Reserve and New Clew (locality) are on north side Louise Island. Djí-gua was near present-day Cumshewa, across inlet from New Clew. Old Clew would appear to be Tanu. "...Kloo (Tlanú)... would seem to be a very modern town. In recent times the people of this town moved to a place where the so-called "Kloo Oil Works" were built, not far from the old site of Djí-gua, but after living there a few years, passed on the Skidegate." (Stanton, J.R., The Haida; Jesup Expedition, vol 5, pt 1, 1905, pp.96-97)

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

Kloo = canoe (p.92B, Haida Skidegate dialect, item 151)

Source: Tolmie, W.F. & Dawson, G.M; Comparative Vocabularies of the Indian Tribes of British Columbia; Geological & Natural History Survey of Canada, 1884