Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 13 August 1962 on C.3809.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Named by the Hydrographic Service in 1962, after the American brig "Hancock", owned by Messrs. Crowell and Creighton of Boston. The 157-ton "Hancock" left Boston in November 1790 with Samuel Crowell as master. She arrived on the northwest Pacific coast in July the following year and traded for a good portion of the season in the Queen Charlotte Islands area. The first European boat to be built on the Charlotes, a tender for the "Hancock", was built on Maast Island off Masset in July 1791. The "Hancock" is known to have made three journeys to waters of the Charlottes. After sailing to China in the fall of 1791 to sell her cargo of furs, she returned to the Islands in 1792 and 1793." [see also Crowell Point]
Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973