Extension

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW side of Harewood Lake, just S of Nanaimo, Cranberry Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°05'55''N, 123°57'25''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/4

Origin Notes and History:

Extension (Post Office) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on BC Lands' map 2A, 1913. Form of name changed to Extension (settlement) in the 1977 Supplement to the BC Gazetteer. Subsequently changed to Extension (community)

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Extension Post Office was opened 1 July 1900, so-named because the coal mine at this point is an "extension" of the Wellington mine, 13 miles distant. Post Office was closed 17 January 1970.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

"In order to keep up the name of the Wellington coal mine which was largely advertised, this being the property of the Wellington Collieries Company, this (place) was called Wellington Extension, which was abbreviated to Extension when the Post Office was established. Extension is 13 miles from Wellington". (File 0325.Letter of August 10, 1916 from Mr. Cosier, the Postmaster).

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa