Exeter

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just W of 100 Mile House, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 51°39'10''N, 121°19'35''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92P/11

Origin Notes and History:

Exeter (Station) adopted 3 March 1955 on 92P, as labelled on BC Lands' map 3G, 1919, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Exeter (Locality) 15 April 1983 on 92P/11.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Lord Martin Cecil came to the Cariboo as a young man in the early 30's, to run the ranch owned by his father, the Duke of Exeter; Lord Cecil now owns Bridge Creek Estate at 100 Mile House." (Imperial Oil Review, April 1958)

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

This BCR station is named after the Marquess of Exeter who, before World War 1, bought a large tract of land around 100 Mile House and established the Bridge Creek Cattle Ranch.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.