BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Blucher Hall
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Community
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: E side North Thompson River, SE of Barrière, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 51°06'00''N, 120°01'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD27
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 92P/1
Related MapClick here for an explanation of Related Maps.: 92P
92P/1
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 3 March 1955 on 92P, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915, and as identified in 1939 & 1947 Directories.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Blucher Hall Post Office was opened 1 January 1905, so-named by Donald Fraser, postmaster; Post Office closed 30 April 1924.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Fraser had arrived in the Kamloops area in 1885 with the CPR construction crews, and was present when the last spike was driven at Craigellachie. After working as a shepherd for a few years, he settled at Black Pines, but was flooded out in 1894 and moved to Forest Lake in 1895, naming his farm Blucher Hall, after an estate in Britain that he had inherited, but never claimed. He ran a store and Post Office. By his 100th birthday in March 1967, Fraser was the last surviving participant of the 1885 ceremony at Craigellachie. (Kamloops: A History of the District up to 1914, by Mary Balf, Kamloops Museum, 1969, p.120)
Source: included with note