Sidney

Feature Type:Town - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a town municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE end of Saanich Peninsula, N of Victoria, North Saanich Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°39'02''N, 123°23'54''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/11

Origin Notes and History:

Sidney (Town) adopted in the 13th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 30 June 1914, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1913. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 30 September 1952. Re-incorporated as a Town Municipality 1 January 1967; confirmed in 1977 Cumulative Supplement to the BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Sidney Post Office was opened 1 June 1892, named in association with nearby Sidney Island, in turn named 1859 by Captain Richards. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

....Apparently the Sidney [Richards'] had in mind was Frederick W. Sidney, who entered the Royal Navy only a few months after Richards and like him joined the surveying branch. Hydrographer of the Admiralty, 1864-74. The Saanich Indians knew the site of Sidney as "Tseteenus' meaning 'sticking out'.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997

There was a village here, called SET,TINES meaning 'chest sticking out'. (writing system developed by Dave Elliot Sr., Saanich Native Studies Program, 1983).

Source: included with note