Port Hardy

Feature Type:District Municipality (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a district municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE side Vancouver Island, NW of Port McNeill, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°43'28''N, 127°29'53''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/11
Related Maps: 92L/11
92L/12

Origin Notes and History:

Port Hardy (Post Office and Steamer Landing) adopted 10 May 1946 on 92L/11 as identified in 1909 BC Gazetteer and as labelled on BC map 2C, 1919. Incorporated as District Municipality 5 April 1966, covering two sites, collectively called District of Port Hardy; name confirmed in 1977 Supplement to the BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, Bart (1769-1839). As captain of H.M.S. Victory he held the dying Lord Nelson in his arms during the Battle of Trafalgar. After retiring from the sea he became governor of Greenwich Hospital, the home for old sailors maintained by the British government. (See Walbran's British Columbia Coast Names for additional biographical information.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office