Adopted 4 April 1957 on C.3576, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 581, 1867 et seq, and on BC map 2C, 1919 et seq, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, and as identified in the BC Pilot, 1951, vol 1.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Named in 1865 by the officers of the hired surveying vessel Beaver because the cove was found in the gloaming of a summer evening. (communicated to the author [c1906] by Captain Browning, RN.)"
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)