Port Alice

Feature Type:Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a village municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Neroutsos Inlet, Quatsino Sound, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°25'36''N, 127°29'17''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/6

Origin Notes and History:

Port Alice (Town) adopted 5 April 1927 on C.317. Form of name changed to Port Alice (Post Office) 26 April 1965 on 92L. Incorporated as a District Municipality 16 June 1965. Re-incorporated as a Village Municipality 1 January 1971. Port Alice (Village) confirmed in the 1977 Supplement to the Gazetteer, and 28 February 1982 on 92L/6.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Port Alice Municipality extends 8km (5+ miles) along the east shore of Neroutsos Inlet, including the pulp mill site at 50° 23' 05" x 127° 25' 15", the residential townsite (called Rumble Beach) at 50° 25' 35" x 127° 29' 05" and the smaller settled area (called Jeune Landing) at 50° 26' 35" x 127° 29' 50"

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Port Alice Post Office was opened 1 October 1917, named by the Whalen Pulp & Paper Company after Alice Whalen, wife of the general manager. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Alice Whalen was mother of the brothers who founded the Whalen Pulp and Paper Company, which in 1917 built the pulp mill here..." (Vancouver Sun, 20 October 1992, p.C2)

Source: included with note