Clayhurst

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Peace River, just inside BC-Alberta boundary, Peace River Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 56°11'15''N, 120°03'20''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 94A/1

Origin Notes and History:

Clayhurst (Post Office) adopted 22 October 1945 on 94/SE, located at 56°11' -120°02'. Form of name changed to Clayhurst (locality) 30 September 1982 on 94A/1, and coordinated shifted westward. Form of name changed to Clayhurst (community) 15 December 1982 on 94A/1.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Clayhurst Post Office was opened 10 September 1938, J.S. Murray, postmaster. Situated at SW 1/4 Sec 8, Tp 83, R 13, W6M; relocated (August?) 1944 to Sec 7, Tp 83, R 13, W6M. Closed 1 September 1867; re-opened 15 September 1967.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After William Clay, who settled here in 1930.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Clay was one of the early settlers in the Peace, reaching Rolla by horse trail about 1912.

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa