Watson Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N of North Broughton Island, in entrance to Mackenzie Sound, Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°55'58''N, 126°49'29''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/15

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 January 1949, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart #581, 1867 et seq, and on BC Lands' map 2C, 1919.

Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

"Named in 1866, after Alexander Watson, a native of Scotland. First treasurer of the Colony of Vancouver Island, later general inspector of the Bank of British Columbia. Married Jessie, second daughter of Kenneth Mackenzie of Craigflower farm. Died 1892."

Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

"Alexander Watson (1831-92), from Scotland, came to Victoria in 1859 as a cashier for the Bank of BNA. In 1863 he married Jessie McKenzie (1844-82), second daughter of Kenneth McKenzie, manager of the HBC's Craigflower Farm. Watson was appointed treasurer of the colony of Vancouver Island in 1866 and later became general inspector of the Bank of BC. In 1871 he announced in the Victoria Colonist that the family was moving to Leith, Scotland, where he would be managing a 'large manufacturing estate,' but the Watsons must had subsequently moved to California, as both Alexander and Jessie died at Oakland."

Source: Scott, Andrew; "The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names"; Harbour Publishing, Madeira Park, 2009.