Compton Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S of Swanson Island in Blackfish Sound, E of Port McNeill, Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°35'41''N, 126°41'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/10

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 3 June 1959 on C.3568, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 581, 1867 et seq, and on BC map 2C, 1919.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named c1866 by Captain Pender, RN, after Pym Nevin Compton, native of Hampshire, of a Quaker family. Came out to Victoria as clerk in the Hudson's Bay Company, and was serving as trading clerk on the Labouchere when she was seized by Indians in Alaska, August 1862. (Victoria Colonist, 23 August 1862) Stationed at Port Simpson, and in 1865 at Fort Rupert, where he had charge. Returned to England in 1866 on board HB barque Prince of Wales. A few years later was in California, and thence went to Victoria, where he died, 1879."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)