Coal Harbour

Feature Type:Harbour (1) - Sheltered water in a shoreline indentation, suitable for mooring or anchoring vessels.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Holberg Inlet, Quatsino Sound, S of Port Hardy at N end Vancouver Island, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°35'43''N, 127°34'45''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/12

Origin Notes and History:

Stephens Bay adopted as a "small feature" 3 May 1927 on C.317, as submitted by Hydrographic Service. Name changed to Coal Harbour 7 January 1947 on C.3617, the well-established and preferred local name.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"THe local name of this feature, while passed as Stephens Bay, was Coal Harbour, and the Post Office is known accordingly. During the war the Air Force constructed a base here and Coal Harbour became well known to the public. It is to be one of the peace-time ports of the RCAF and appears as such in press notices." (9 December 1946 letter from Hydrographic Service to Geographic Board of Canada)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office