Coal Harbour

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Holberg Inlet, Quatsino Sound, S of Port Hardy at N end Vancouver Island, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°36'00''N, 127°35'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92L/12

Origin Notes and History:

Coal Harbour (Post Office & Steamer landing) adopted 3 June 1947 on 92 L/12 . Identified as Coal Harbour (Post Office) in the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Coal Harbour (community) 15 December 1982 on 92 L/12.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Coal Harbour Post Office was opened 16 March 1936.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office