Ucluelet Inlet

Feature Type:Inlet (3) - Elongated body of water extending from a sea or lake.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Extends NW from Barkley Sound, behind Ucluelet (municipality), SW of Port Alberni (city), Clayoquot Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°57'21''N, 125°33'39''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92C/13

Origin Notes and History:

Ucluelet Arm adopted 3 April 1934 on C.3627, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart A582, published in 1863. Changed to Ucluelet Inlet 7 April 1934.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"The Ucluelet tribe who reside here originally occupied a cove near Portland Point, which is the only safe landing place in rough weather between Barkley and Clayoquot Sounds, and this inlet is still looked upon by the Ucluelets as their principal home. "Yutl" means "a good landing place for canoes" hence the inhabitants of the cove which was named Yuclutl were called "Yu-clutl-ahts" meaning "the people with the safe landing place". (communicated to the author by Rev. A.J. Brabant)."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

Named in 1861 by Captain Richards, RN, adapted from that of a tribe of Indians, whose name means "people of the landing place" (advice received July 1960 from Mr. George Clutesi Sr., a Nootka Indian now living at Sechelt).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office