Bonwick Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of Gilford Island, NE of Alert Bay, Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°42'03''N, 126°38'31''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/10

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 April 1950 on 92/NW, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 581, 1867 et seq, and on BC map 2C, 1919 et seq, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Bonwick Island, Bonwick Islands (since re-named Augustine Islands), Bonwick Point and Bonwick Mountain (sic) named by Captain Pender at various dates between 1863 and 1870, after Charles Bonwick, RN, acting assistant engineer aboard the gunboat Grappler, 1860, then acting chief engineer aboard HM hired surveying steamer, Beaver, while engaged in surveying activities on this coast 1863-70. Retired and residing in England in 1906.

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)