Tribune Bay adopted 10 July 1923 on Ottawa file OBF 0784, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 580, 1862 et seq, and as labelled on BC Lands' map 2A, 1913.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named c1860 by Captain Richards, RN, after HMS Tribune, under Captain Hornby, on this station 1859-60. In April 1864, the Tribune again visited this coast, under Captain Gilford....
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)
The K'ómoks name for Tribune Bay is lhékep. One source believes this might be a Qualicum-Pentlatch term, and another source advised that this is a word that would be used to mean "almost joined together" The northeast corner of Tribune Bay has been recorded as an archaeological site - a very thin midden deposit, 9900 square metres in area, 20 centimetres deep at its deepest point, and much less in most places. (information shared in March 2008 by K'ómoks First Nation, in turn excerpted from Island Comox
Land Use and Reserve
History, revised draft 18 June 1999, p.148)