Ahateset (village) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1A, 1912. Form and spelling changed to Ehatisaht Village 27 July 1946 on 92E/15. Form changed to Ehatisaht (settlement) 10 September 1953 on 92E/15; further changed to Ehatisaht (locality) 15 February 1983. Canadian Hydrographic Service and Village of Tahsis staff confirmed that no one lives at Ehatisaht any more (letter, January 1998, file Z.1.46). Ehattesaht Band confirmed by telephone 18 February 1998 that, while there are no longer any residents, there is a traditional burial site here and the term "abandoned locality" would not be an acceptable description. Form of name changed to Ehatisaht (Former Locality) 19 January 1998 on 92E/15.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office