Quicks Bottom

Feature Type:Flats (3) - A large area of flat, wet ground.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW side of junction of Viaduct Creek and Colquitz River, just W of Royal Oak (community), NW of Victoria, Lake Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°29'50''N, 123°24'07''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/6

Origin Notes and History:

Quicks Bottom adopted 3 November 1980 on 92B/6; a well-established local name, referring to an 8+ hectare marshy area along the Colquitz River valley.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

This freshwater marsh was once part of the dairy farm owned by brothers William John and Frederick George Quick; they had arrived from New Zealand in 1889, and eventually had the largest herd of pure-bred Jersey dairy cows on Vancouver Island.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office