Burns Lake

Feature Type:Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a village municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW side of Burns Lake, between Fort Fraser and Houston, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°13'49''N, 125°45'52''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93K/4

Origin Notes and History:

Burns Lake (Post Office) adopted 15 July 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 631A, as labelled on BC map 3B, 1920. Form of name changed to Burns Lake (Village) 2 June 1955 on 93K to conform to incorporated status and as identified in 1950 BC Gazetteer. Altered application 31 December 1982 to include a small isolated addition at 54 11 - 125 29.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Burns Lake Post Office opened 1 April 1910. Townsite laid out by Provincial Government in 1917. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 6 December 1923. See also the municipality's own internet site.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office