Smithers

Feature Type:Town - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a town municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Bulkley River, SE of Hazelton, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°46'45''N, 127°10'34''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93L/14

Origin Notes and History:

Smithers (settlement) labelled on BC Lands' map 3D, 1919. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 1 October 1921; Smithers (Village) confirmed 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 368A. Re-incorporated as a Town Municipality 1 January 1967; Smithers (Town) confirmed 27 June 1967 on NTS 93. Boundary amendment effective 31 December 1993, gazette date 27 January 1994.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Smithers Post Office was opened 30 October 1913, named after A.W. Smithers, chairman of Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office