Appledale

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Slocan River, NW of Nelson, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°39'00''N, 117°32'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82F/12

Origin Notes and History:

Appledale (Station) adopted 6 October 1955 on 82 SW, as labelled on BC map 4A, 1926; form of name changed to Appledale (Post Office & Station) 19 Januaray 1956 on Columbia River Basin manuscript 63; further changed to Appledale (Community) 31 December 1977 on 82 F/NW.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Appledale Post Office opened 1 April 1914; closed 19 April 1955 (had been located on L383); re-opened 16 November 1955 located on Lot 1-14, Block 2, Plan 1108 (NW of NW corner L10404); closed 27 May 1959.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office