Tofino (Townsite) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924. Form of name changed to Tofino (Post Office & Steamer Landing) in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 5 February 1932; Tofino (Village) confirmed 7 January 1947 on 92 F/4 and 92 E/1. Re-incorporated as a District Municipality (date not cited), called District of Tofino; form of name changed to Tofino (District Municipality) 18 May 1984 on 92 F/4.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office