Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 26 June 1911 on Ottawa file OBF 0024, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 580, 1864 et seq; re-approved Adopted 1 August 1922 on BC Lands' map 2D.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Named in 1862 by Captain Richards, RN, after James Johnson Southgate, a native of England and a retired ship-master. Captain Southgate arrived at Victoria from San Francisco in 1859, and engaged in a commission and general merchantile business, largely in connection with Her Majesty's navy on this station, under the name of J.J. Southgate & Co., until 1865, when the business was purchased by the firm of Lowe Bros. During his residence in Victoria, Captain Southgate was a prominent citizen and, 1860-1863, a member of the local legislature for Saltspring Island, Retired to England in 1865, and died at London 1894." Also Southgate Group (islands).
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)