Gerrard

Feature Type:Abandoned Locality - A previously populated place with no current population.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: At S end of Trout Lake, E of Upper Arrow Lake, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°30'30''N, 117°16'41''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82K/11

Origin Notes and History:

Gerrard (Post Office) adopted 31 January 1956 on Columbia River Basin manuscript 68, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Gerrard (Settlement) 9 June 1960 on 82K. Form of name changed to Gerrard (Abandoned Locality) 18 October 1979 on 82K/11, as recommended by Planning Department, Central Kootenay Regional District (file L.3.59).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Identified as "Selkirk" on map "Index to Townships in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta & British Columbia" to accompany the annual report of the Topographical Survey Branch, 1907-08.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Gerrard Post Office opened 1 November 1906, named after George Bentley Gerrard; this was the terminus of the CPR line running north from Lardeau, abandoned sometime before 1946. Post Office closed 5 January 1957. At the time of closing the Post Office was beyond the boundary of Lot 189, on the CPR right-of-way.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office