Lamming Mills

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just NW of McBride, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°21'00''N, 120°16'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93H/8
Related Maps: 93H
93H/8

Origin Notes and History:

Lamming Mills (Post Office) adopted 12 March 1965 on 93H. Form of name changed to Lamming Mills (Station) in the 1977 Supplement to the BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Lamming Mills (Community) 15 May 1981; confirmed 31 May 1983 on 93H/8.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Grand Trunk Pacific's Cariboo siding, situated in Lot 5336 as labelled on BC map 3H, 1915 et seq, was relocated two miles northwest c1920 to serve a pole yard, and was renamed after section foreman D.A. Craig and yard owner J. Bennett. (Marilyn Wheeler, The Robson Valley Story, 1979, p.32). Lamming Mills Post Office was established 23 April 1945, situated on SE 1/4 Lot 3339 and named after the first postmaster. Craibenn station was renamed Lamming Mills station 12 June 1946, in keeping with the name of the post office, according to advice from CNR. Lamming Mills Post Office closed 31 December 1969.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office