Glen Vowell

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Skeena River between Kispiox and Hazelton, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°18'44''N, 127°40'24''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93M/5

Origin Notes and History:

Glen Vowel (settlement) adopted 1 March 1938 on Geological Survey sheet 448A, Hazelton. Spelling corrected to Glen Vowell (settlement) 5 July 1951 on 93M. Form of name changed to Glen Vowell (community) 31 December 1974.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Glenvowell Salvation Army Mission" identified in BC Mines Department records, 1910. The 2-word form, "Glen Vowell (Mission)" is labelled on BC map 3D, 1922; "Glen Vowell (Indian Village & Mission)" is identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Refers to Arthur Stewart Vowell, who surveyed the townsite in 1898. (from River of Destiny, by R.Geddes Large; Mitchell Press, Vancouver; 1957, p.104, and from January 1982 letter from Vowell's daughter, file H.2.37) [here, "glen" presumably is derived from the Gaelic word meaning valley.]

Source: included with note

The traditional name has been spelled Sikadoak; the surrounding property is identified as Sik-e-dahk IR 2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office