Oliver

Feature Type:Town - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a town municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Okanagan River, N of Osoyoos Lake, Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°10'57''N, 119°33'03''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82E/4

Origin Notes and History:

Oliver (town) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 31 December 1945. Re-incorporated as a Town Municipality 1 January 1991; Oliver (Town) confirmed 8 November 1991 on 82E/4.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Oliver Post Office was opened 1 May 1921. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after "Honest John" Oliver (1856 - 1927), premier of British Columbia when the province carried out the irrigation and land settlement scheme here 1919-1921. (12th Report of the Okanagan Historical Society, 1948).

Source: included with note