Templar Channel

Feature Type:Channel (3) - Narrow stretch of water connecting two bodies of water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Esowista Peninsula and Wickaninnish & Lennard Islands, just S of Tofino, Clayoquot Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°07'50''N, 125°55'11''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 November 1934 on C.327, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 584, 1863 et seq.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named in 1861 by Captain Richards, RN, after the yacht "Templar", originally belonging to Charles E. Barrett-Lennard of the Royal Thames Yacht Club. The 20-ton cutter yacht was brought out on the deck of the barque "Athelstan", and in 1860 Lieut. Barrett-Lennard and Capt. Napoleon Fitzstubbs, both ex-military officers (of the North Gloucestershire Regiment ?) made the first yachting trip around Vancouver Island. The trip took 2-1/2 months, and Lennard's account of the cruise, entitled "Travels in British Columbia, including a yacht voyage round Vancouver Island" was published in 1862. The "Templar" was subsequently sold to Messrs. Henderson and Burnaby of Victoria. On 22 January 1862, having left Victoria that day on a trading cruise along the coast of Vancouver Island, she was driven on shore from an anchorage in Foul Bay by a heavy southeast gale, and was totally lost. (See Victoria Colonist, 14 December 1860 and 24 January 1862)."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)