Origin Notes and History:
Hammond (railway station) and Port Hammond (Post Office) adopted 3 July 1952 on 92G/2, as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Port Hammond (Post Office and Station) 4 July 1957 on 92G/SE. Form of name changed to Port Hammond (community) 29 November 1984 (Ottawa file 203-2).
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Named after brothers William and John Hammond, the former a civil engineer and the latter a farmer. Both lived here at one time, though William moved to Victoria to practice his profession. Mr. William Hammond died about 1892; Mr. John Hammond still lives [here]. The property on which the townsite stands belonged as a Crown Grant to the brothers, and as it was for some time the terminus of the CPR and all CPR shipping was done between this point, New Westminster and Victoria, the word 'Port' was added to the name. They were amongst, if not the first, white settlers, and before the townsite was laid out the place was known as 'Hammonds Landing'; as far as Mr. [John] Hammond knows, the place had no name before they came here." (24 August 1905 letter from Postmaster at Port Hammond, following his interview with John Hammond.)
Source: Chief Geographer's Place Name Survey, 1905 (letters from BC Postmasters to James White, Canada's Chief Geographer)
"Named after two young Englishman, John Hammond, a farmer, and William Hammond, a civil engineer, who together with Mrs. E.J. Mohun owned the townsite. They had hopes of Port Hammond becoming a port of call for deep sea shipping."
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997