Incorporated as a Village Municipality 4 March 1929; Hope (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 422A, Hope. Re-incorporated as a Town Municipality effective 1 January 1965; name confirmed in 1966 Gazetteer. Re-incorporated as a District Municipality effective 7 December 1992, called District of Hope; name confirmed 4 February 1994 on 92 H/6 & 92H/5.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named in expectation that it would be more servicable than Fort Yale, as a distributing point for the Hudson's Bay Company, who built a post here in 1848 (Bancroft 176).
Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions
Fort Hope was built in 1848-49 by Henry Newsham Peers, a clerk in the service of the Hudson Bay Co. A year earlier Peers had discovered a way through the mountains here (up the Coquihalla River and Peers Creek, over Hope Pass, and down the Similkameen River)
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997