Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
East Wellington (Post Office) adopted 4 August 1949 on 92 F/1, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1913 et seq. Form of name changed to East Wellington (Settlement) in 1977 supplement to the 1966 BC Gazetteer, adjacent to City of Nanaimo. Form of name changed to East Wellington (Community) 31 December 1982 on 92 F/1, now within City of Nanaimo municipal boundary.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office