Egnell (post) adopted in the 1st Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 1898. Form of name changed to Egnell (telegraph station) in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924. Name changed to Sheslay (settlement) 21 December 1944 on 104 NE. Form of name changed to Sheslay (locality) 29 November 1984 (Ottawa file 203-2).
Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.