Paulson

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E. of N. end of Christina Lake, Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°12'00''N, 118°07'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82E/1

Origin Notes and History:

Paulson (station) adopted 6 October 1955 on 82/SW, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Paulson (locality) 11 July 1979.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Bonanza Siding Post Office opened here 1 May 1902; Post Office name was changed to Paulson 1 July 1904.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"...this station was named after a man by that name who operated both a store and a hotel at that point many years ago. This information has been confirmed by a retired storekeeper who now resides at Grand Forks and who knew Mr. Paulson quite well." (23 April 1956 letter from J.C. Jones, general superintendent, CPR, file K.1.36.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Paulson brothers, early storekeepers at Rossland, established a store here. 1919 Directory lists Thomas H. Paulson, hotelier, storekeeper and postmaster. Has since been abandoned, but the name is still used & recognized locally.

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions