BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Passage Island
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: S end of Queen Charlotte Channel, between West Vancouver and Bowen Island, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 49°20'36''N, 123°18'20''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 92G/6
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 7 December 1937 on 92G/6, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart #1922, 1860 et seq, and on BC Lands' map 2B, 1914. Approximately 3/8 mile long x 1/8 mile wide.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Named 14 June 1792 by Captain Vancouver. The name describes the island as being in the middle of the passage. The island when in line with the peak on Anvil Island is a guide to clear the shoals known as the Sandheads, off the mouth of the Fraser River. This mark was noted by Vancouver when sailing up what is now known as the Strait of Georgia with his vessels Discovery and Chatham, and his noting it shows how observant he was."
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)
"Here [at Point Atkinson] was the opposite point of the entrance into the sound bore by compass west, at the distance of about three miles' and nearly in the centre between these two point, is a low rocky island producing some trees, to which the name of Passage Island was given.' (Vancouver's journal, vol 2, p.194)
Source: included with note
Mi'tlmetle'lte or MitlmeHelch was the Sqawmish [sic] village on Passage Island.
Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives