Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 5 February 1924 on 92G/6 as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 570, 1865 et seq, and on BC map 2B, 1914, and on BC map 2D, 1923.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named c1859 by Captain Richards, in association with other Howe Sound names, after HMS Brunswick, 74 guns, 1,836 tons, under Captain John Harvey. Built at Deptford, and launched in 1790. Harvey, captain of the Brunswick, and Captain Hutt, HMS Queen, 98 guns, both lost a limb in the "Battle of the Glorious First of June" (1 June 1794), and both died June 30. They are remembered by the same monument in Westminister Abbey, and to complete the coincidence, before leaving England these officers had driven down together in the same postchaise to join their respective ships. Harvey mountain, close southward of Brunswick mountain, is named after the unfortunate Harvey, and Hutt Island after the equally unfortunate captain of the Queen. (Naval Chronicle).
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)