Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 4 November 1954 on 92H/11, as labelled on Dominion Sectional sheet #33, Yale, 1912.
Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.
"James Moore, who belonged to the first party of gold-hunters in the late spring of 1858, left the following account of the naming of Hill's Bar: '...we camped for lunch on a bar about ten miles from Hope to cook lunch, and while doing so one of our party noticed particles of gold in the moss that was growing on the rocks. He got a pan and washed a pan of this moss and got a good prospect, and after our gastric wants were satisfied we all prospected the bar and found it a rich bar of gold. With our crude mode of working with rockers we made on an average of 50 dollars per day to the man. We named this bar in honor of the man that washed the first pan of moss, Hill's Bar.' To the Halkomelem Indians, Hill's Bar was Qualark, meaning it was a good place to barbeque salmon heads."
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997