Decker Lake

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Decker Lake, NW of Burns Lake (municipality), Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°18'00''N, 125°50'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93K/5

Origin Notes and History:

Decker Lake (Post Office & Station) adopted 15 July 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 631A, Fort Fraser, as labelled on BC map 3D, 1919 et seq, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Decker Lake (station) 21 April 1966 on 93NW. Form of name changed to Decker Lake (community) 15 December 1982 on 93K/5.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

New station name "Decker Lake" submitted October 1913 by G.U. Ryley, Land Commissioner of GTP Railway, Winnipeg, to Geographic Board of Canada, in association with the long-established lake name. Decker Lake Post Office was opened 16 November 1922, situated on Lot 2501; closed 16 May 1964. CNR maintained a 47-car siding here through the early 1970s, but no passenger stop or freight handled.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office