Coquitlam

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of Pitt River on N side of Fraser River, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°17'03''N, 122°47'37''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/7
Related Maps: 92G/2
92G/7

Origin Notes and History:

Coquitlam incorporated as a District Municipality under Letters Patent 25 July 1891, R.B. Kelly, reeve; re-incorporated as a City Municipality by Order in Council 997/92, 18 June 1992, effective 1 December 1992.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Coquitlam Post Office was opened 1 March 1881; renamed Port Coquitlam Post Office 1 July 1913.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"The name Coquitlam is of Indian origin and signifies a "small red salmon," a fish which once teamed in the Coquitlam river, but now through various causes has become extinct." (Coquitlam Star, May 1912.) See also the municpality's own website.

Source: included with note

The name Coquitlam is of Indian origin and signifies a "small red salmon".

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives

The name Coquitlam is that of a Salish tribe in the [area] speaking the Cowichan dialect. (17th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1922.) Also spelled Kwikwitlem.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office