BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Fintry
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Locality - A named place or area, with or without a scattered population
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: W side of Okanagan Lake surrounding mouth of Shorts Creek, SW of Vernon, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 50°08'05''N, 119°30'05''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 82L/4
Related MapClick here for an explanation of Related Maps.: 82L/3
82L/4
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Fintry (landing) adopted 7 February 1951 on 82L/SW, as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Fintry (steamer landing) 19 January 1961 on 82L/3. Form of name changed to Fintry (locality) 29 November 1984 (Ottawa file 203-2).
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Steamboat captain Thomas Shorts settled here in 1883 and sold to Captain James Cameron Dunwaters in 1909. Dunwaters built a stately home here in 1911, using granite quarried from nearby cliffs, and naming his estate Fintry after his ancestral home in Scotland; his agricultural operation was famous throughout the Okanagan and included a gravity-fed irrigation system, hydroelectric plant, octagonal dairy barn and lake-side fruit packing house.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
The land here was bought in 1909 by Captain James Cameron Dun-Waters, who named his estate Fintry after his family home in Stirlingshire.
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997