Origin Notes and History:
Beach Grove (community) Adopted 3 May 1951 on 92G, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1938 et seq, and as listed in BC Directory, 1949.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
This side of Boundary Bay was a duck hunting place used by Tsawwassen First Nation, and known to them as Ttu'nuxum. According to Tsawwassen Elders, this was an ideal area for hunting ducks and other shorebirds. The Stolo have identified this area as a sacred site. (Source: Place names, as they are known to Tsawwassen, are shared between generations by elders and other knowledgeable community members, but several written accounts also exist, including: "Archaeological Investigations at Tsawwassen, B.C., Volume 1", by Arcas Consulting Archaeologists, Ltd. 1991 and "Reconstructing Culture: A Traditional Use Study of the Tsawwassen First Nation" by Daniel Millette, 1997, and "A Stolo-Coast Salish Historical Atlas" by Keith Carlson (2001). The place was re-confirmed by Tsawwassen Elders within the "Tsawwassen First Nation Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge Study", by Tsawwassen members, 2001-02.)
Source: "Tsawwassen First Nation Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge Study" by Tsawwassen members, 2001-02.