Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 7 December 1937 on 92G/6, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 922, 1886 et seq, and on BC Laands' map 2B, 1914.
Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.
"So-named in 1859 by Captain Richards, British Admiralty surveyor, evidently because of disappointment on finding that this body of water with an attractive entrance soon ended in mud flats (now filled up and occupied by warehouses, factories and CNR and GNR tracks and stations). Formerly the site of Squamish Indian village Snauk. "
Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives