Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Fairview (town) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A, Kettle River, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Fairview (settlement) 7 October 1954 on 82E/SW. Subsequently changed to Fairview (community)
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Fairview Post Office was opened 1 December 1892, Thomas Elliot, postmaster. Fairview Townsite plan was registered 9 June 1897. Post Office was closed 31 March 1926.
Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.
"Fairview Townsite plan registered by Williams Alfred Dier and Augustus Alexander Davidson; named for the fine view of the Okanagan Valley to the south and southeast." (12th Report of the Okanagan Historical Society, 1948)
Source: included with note
Jeff Miller stakes a mineral claim on a jasper outcrop near the townsite of Fairview. He buys up 2,000 acres and builds a small cabin. On his 87th birthday his relatives visit him from back east and are shown a coffee can full of gold nuggets. He says he'll draw a map, to be given out upon his death, giving directions to the mine, but dies of a heart-attack before being able to carry out his promise. Neither mine nor gold-filled coffee can are located. (condensed from "Lost Treasure in British Columbia" by L. Lazeo; Victoria 1973; presented at BC Folklore Society's website http://collections.ic.gc.ca/folklore/ )