Carrs

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Okanagan Lake, N of Okanagan Centre, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°06'54''N, 119°27'47''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82L/3

Origin Notes and History:

Carrs (Landing) adopted 7 February 1951 on 82L/SW as a well-established local name, even though CPR lake service had long since been cancelled. Form of name changed to Carrs (Community) 29 November 1984.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Sunnywold Post Office was opened in this location 1 June 1909, Peter Sinclair postmaster. Post Office closed 14 July 1939.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Andrew Carr, settler, c1895; died c1910. (12th Report of the Okanagan Historical Society, 1948, citing N. H. Caesar; J. B. Weeks).

Source: included with note