BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Loos
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Locality - A named place or area, with or without a scattered population
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: W side of the Fraser River just above Crescent Spur (locality), NW of McBride, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 53°36'00''N, 120°42'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD27
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 93H/10
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

"Loos (Post Office & Station), not Cresent (Station)" identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 3H, 1919 et seq. Form of name changed to Loos (Station) 12 March 1965 on 93H, as identified in the 1953 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Loos (locality) 15 June 1983 on 93H/10.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway station here was originally called Crescent Island. Loos Post Office opened here 30 March 1916, named in recognition of the (failed) Allied offensive called the Battle of Loos that had taken place a few months earlier, near the Belgium border in France. The GTPR changed their station name from Crescent Island to Loos sometime later in 1916.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Horrific losses were suffered during the Battle of Loos - an Allied offensive in late September 1915 to regain the city of Lens in Pas de Calais, France; in one four-hour period 10,000 Allied and German soldiers were killed. At battle's end no ground had been gained and 50,000 Allied troops and 25,000 German troops were dead. Troop losses are subjective, as Major-General Richard Hilton recounted at the time: "A great deal of nonsense has been written about Loos. The real tragedy of that battle was its nearness to complete success. Most of us who reached the crest of Hill 70 and survived were firmly convinced that we had broken through on that Sunday, 25th September 1915. There seemed to be nothing ahead of us but an unoccupied and incomplete trench system. The only two things that prevented our advancing into the suburbs of Lens were, firstly the exhaustion of the 'Jocks' themselves (for they had undergone a bellyfull of marching and fighting that day) and secondly the flanking fire of numerous German machine-guns, which swept that bare hill from some factory buildings in Cite St. Auguste to the south of us. All that we needed was more artillery ammunition to blast those clearly located machine-guns, and some fresh infantry to take over from the weary and depleted 'Jocks.' But, alas, neither ammunition nor reinforcements were immediately available, and the great opportunity passed." (quotation from The Battle of Loos, by Philip Warner; Wordsworth Editions, Hertfordshire; 1976).
Source: included with note
"The founding family of Loos was Ole Olson Leboe (originally from Vagland, Sweden)* and his wife Anna Marie. Around 1917 their sons Alvin, Bert, Harold and Wilf built the first Leboe Lumber Company sawmill on the edge of the Fraser River. The sawmill was the reason Loos grew from a mere station beside the tracks into a community. A post office was established in 1916 in the cabin of the postmistress, Mrs. A. Martin, at the west switch of the GTPR passing track at Loos. The post office moved into its own building in 1919, near the Leboe Lumber Company sawmill, with Ole Olson Leboe as postmaster. After the flood of 1936 mail was collected and distributed from the [Leboe's house] where the post office remained until 1950..." (Postscript 90: Commemorating 75 Years of Postal History in the Fraser-Fort George Region; Fraser-Fort George Museum Society, 1990.) The post office was closed 11 July 1951; by that time fires had destroyed the GTPR station and the Leboe Lumber Company sawmill and the population had largely relocated to the nearby community of Crescent Spur. [* NOTE: the grandson of Wilfred Leboe advises that Ole and his wife Anna Marie were from Vagland, NORWAY.]
Source: included with note